What is Carbon Monoxide?
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon based fuels including gas, oil, wood and coal.
- Sources can include cookers, heaters and fire places.
- CO poisoning kills 40 people and injures a further 300 every year in the UK.
- You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but CO can kill quickly without warning.
What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning?
- The most common symptoms include headaches, dizziness, tiredness and nausea.
- Symptoms can be mistaken for flu, viruses or even food poisoning.
- If someone suffers from these symptoms whilst at home but is fine elsewhere, they may be suffering from CO poisoning.
How to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisioning?
- Make sure your camping light and stove are clean and properly adjusted.
- Never take a portable barbecue – or lit charcoal – into an enclosed space like a tent or caravan.
- Make sure exhaust from generators is properly vented away from occupied areas.
What to do in an emergency?
- Evacuate everyone outside to fresh air.
- Go to your doctor or in an emergency call for an ambulance.
For further information visit www.COvictim.org