Our performance between 1st April 2010 and 31st March 2011 is now available.
Additional information on what we have achieved to make Dorset safer is contained within a supplementary report which will be published shortly.
A message from Darran Gunter, Chief Fire Officer, Dorset Fire and Rescue Service:
I am pleased to introduce our Annual Report for 2010/11 (1.85MB pdf); it is two parts this year. This Annual Report contains a summary of what we have achieved for you this year.
We also have a Supplementary Report (1.65MB pdf) which provides additional detailed information on our performance. This Supplemental Report contains financial information which is based on the draft annual statement of accounts.
An updated Supplemental Report will be published when the full financial statement of accounts is published.
We have focused considerable effort to improve safety in Dorset over the last year by:
- Reducing preventable incidents and improving safety in the home by further strengthening our community safety task teams and working with Bournemouth & Poole College on a new volunteers scheme.
- Learning more about our communities and how we can provide services to people whose lifestyles put them at risk from fires and other emergencies and introducing a new way of identifying residents that are most at risk from fire.
- Running our first 'Fire Fayre' which was a family fun day held in Poole Park on 20 June 2010.
- Building our new community fire station at Weymouth. This iconic building will house a variety of rooms of many sizes and for many purposes that offer a range of opportunities for community use and will include 'FireWise', an innovative and compelling learning opportunity where the visitor experiences realistic scenarios to help them to learn how to keep themselves safe.
- Implementing our shift system to ensure that we provide time for additional training for our crews.
- Dealing with the very difficult financial position that all public sector bodies have had to face
- Making a considerable investment in fire fighter safety.
Despite the many successes this year which are outlined within this Annual Report, there is still much to do. Like all public services we continue to face a very uncertain financial future but we are determined to improve the Service by responding to the requirements of our residents and business, working in new and innovative ways and through better evaluation of our activities, ensure that we use our very limited resources as efficiently as possible.
Our vision is to work in partnership to make Dorset safer. We have a longer term aspiration for the people of Dorset leading up to 2020 and have set ourselves challenging milestones to achieve this and by which you can judge our progress. We also have five aims, each with a set of clearly defined priorities which are crucial to improving the service we provide to you. These priorities will allow us to target our limited resources where they will do the most good.
Our Community Safety Plan 2011/16 sets out these changes in detail.
I hope you enjoy reading this Annual Report and seeing what we have achieved. If you have an comments, good or bad, please let us know. We have provided a Freepost feedback form to help you do this.
Alternatively, if you would like support in understanding this report, or would like it in a different format or to receive a hard copy, please contact Bob Ford, Head of Corporate Planning Manager on 01305 252615 or by email at: email@example.com